I think it’s been about 5 months since I’ve posted anything original.
This is for a number of reasons:
1. I didn’t really have the time. I didn’t want to waste time where I could be doing things, writing about things I’ve already done.
2. While I didn’t get bored writing about travel, I did get bored formatting blog posts and photos. I also got insanely bored with the monotony of self-promotion. I hate that shit. It makes me feel so dirty.
3. I think it ruins part of the experience. I found myself only remembering the bits I wrote about. For instance, I spent three days exploring the Australian capital of Canberra, but I only wrote about maybe 4 hours worth of stuff. Because of that I have no clue what I did for the rest of the time.
While I admire the people that write about travel professionally, I don’t know if I could do it. I’ve seen travel bloggers writing blogs while sitting on the beach, whereas I struggle to even force a blog out sitting in a hostel. That means that pretty much everything I’ve ever written is retrospective. Which is fine, except I’ve never been able to catch up – and in all honestly, I never want to – because that just means I’m not doing enough. To be honest, I’ve never aimed to be professional, but every time that I find myself changing my writing to write for an audience, I want to punch myself. I want to just write, to write. And that’s what I’m going to do.
I’m not going to stop writing about travel altogether. I’m just going to write about it, when I want to write about. And if there is something else I want to write about, I’ll do that instead. Therefore, as well as travel, I’ve added a few more sections to this blog. I’ll probably add more when I decide that there’s something else I want to write about, but for now they are:
- Thoughts: These could be thoughts on travel, thoughts on life, politics, sport, etc.
- Beers & Breweries: I’m going to write about all things alcohol. You know, that magic liquid that makes life seem better?
- Reviews & Rants: If I’ve seen a new film, listened to a new band or read a new book and I think it’s particularly good, bad or ugly – I might write about it.
- Life: I’m not sure what’s going in this section. Posts about shit going on in my life, where I’m going next, my plans for the future, etc. Basically, everything that no one wants to read about.
So there you have it.
I’ll probably lose some followers when I start ranting about why I hate the X Factor or how I think John Lennon was a massive tool – but fuck it, if you can’t be yourself, what’s the point? Maybe I’ll gain some – I mean surely other people must agree that Chris Martin is a wanker and Coldplay are over-rated? Who knows. Plus, I’m sure some of you will like my new twist on travel. No more being nice, for the sake of being nice. I hope you enjoy it.
Finally, I’m going to be taking a step back from social media. I’ll start by deleting my Facebook account, but I don’t know what the future of my twitter will be either (hell… I might even write a blog about it). For now, keep following me on twitter or hit the follow button at the side of the blog.